George Squires was born in Thame in 1878, one of five children born of Benjamin and Emma Squires, of 36 Park Street. The family later moved to 17 Park Street.
After serving an apprenticeship as a compositor with the Thame Gazette, in 1901 he moved to Hemel Hempstead, to work as a print compositor for the John Dickinson Stationery Co. (Lion and Basildon Bond)
In March 1916, he enlisted to serve with the Bedfordshire Regiment (No. 27854), 7th Battalion, and in August 1917, having been promoted to corporal, he was fighting in the Third Battle of Ypres with B Company.
On the 17th August, they were ordered to attack a local German strongpoint called Inverness Copse when the British artillery barrage fell short and killed or wounded over 50% of the company.
Corporal George Squires was initially buried near the battlefield, and in 1920 his remains were re-buried in Tyne Cot Cemetery, Ypres.
He is remembered in Thame on the War Memorial, and St Mary’s church, All Saints and Christchurch memorial boards.
The Thame Remembers Cross was delivered to Tyne Cot Cemetery, Ypres, Belgium on 30th October 2015 by Gill Read