John Phillips was born in Thame in 1920 the son of Ernest James and Annie Phillips (nee Eade).
He flew as a Sgt, Observer/Air Gunner 742921 with 206 Sqn based at RAF Bircham Newton, Norfolk. They were on North Sea patrol in Lockheed Hudson Mk 1 T9289, VX-A when all the crew were lost. The aircraft ran out of fuel on the return leg of the patrol on 11 February 1941. and the aircraft was abandoned over the sea.
His name is commemorated on the Air Forces Memorial at Runnymede in Surrey.
He is remembered in Thame on the War Memorial, St Mary’s Church Memorial Board and on Lord Williams’s School Memorial Board.
The Thame Remembers Cross was delivered to Air Forces Memorial, Runnymede, Surrey on 14th December 2014 by Dick Phillips