Joseph Squires was born in the autumn of 1891, one of 8 children to Herbert and Amelia Squires of Park Street, Thame. Employed as a carter for a corn merchant in 1911, the following year he married Susan Jane Munday of Long Crendon, and by 1916 they were living in Princes Risborough.
It is likely that he was called up after conscription was extended to married men in 1916, and was initially posted with the 95th Training Reserve (TR) battalion based at Chisledon, Wilts, before being transferred to the 20th Machine Gun Company. The Company was attached to the 20th Brigade of the 7th Division, and served in many actions throughout 1916/17.
It was during the 2nd Battle of Passchendaele, the last major action of the 3rd Battle of Ypres that Private Joseph Squires was wounded. At the time, the unit was situated along the Ypres-Menin Road, north-west of Gheluvelt.
He made it back as far as the Casualty Clearing Station at Lijsenthoek, south-west of Ypres, where he died of his wounds on 27th October 1917 and was buried in the adjoining plot of land which is today the Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Poperinge.
As well as the main war memorial in Thame, his name is also remembered on the memorial boards of St Mary’s, All Saints, and Christchurch.
The Thame Remembers Cross was delivered to Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Poperinge, Belgium on 31st March 2015 by Pieter-Paul Barker & Nicholas Barker