Harry William Oliver was born in Thame in July 1889 and baptised at St Mary’s church on 25th July 1889. His parents were Amos Oliver and Elizabeth Oliver nee Joiner who had married at St Mary’s church on 30th July 1888.
They had four further children, Sydney Fred, bap 1892, Elise Maude, bap 1895, Albert James, bap 1899 and Emily May, bap 1903. In 1911 the family were living at 12 Park Street, but Harry, age 21, was a fireman for the Hampstead electric light company and living in London.
He gave his occupation as a farmer when he attested for the army and as a farmer he would know and ride horses so it was natural that he would join a cavalry regiment. He enlisted in 1st Battalion King Edward’s Horse with number 1934 on 14th May 1917. He gave his next of kin as his father Amos of 38, Park Street, Thame.
On completion of training on 8th September 1917 he was compulsorily transferred to the 6th Battalion Royal Fusiliers and then on 14th October 1917 again transferred to the Royal West Kent Regiment with service number G/20154.
He was sent to join the 1st Battalion at the front on 15th October 1917. After a spell in the trenches Harry was reported missing on the 17th October 1917 and presumed dead on the 26th October 1917.
He has no known grave and so is commemorated on Tyne Cot Memorial near Ypres, Belgium and is remembered in Thame on the town war memorial. His back pay (£2 8s 9d) and war gratuity (£3) were passed to his mother Elizabeth.
The Thame Remembers Cross was delivered to Tyne Cot Memorial, Ypres, Belgium on 30th October 2015 by Richard Bowdrey