Thame Remembers Lance Corporal Ronald Frank Harris
Ronald Frank Harris was the son of Frank and Kate Harris, and was born at North Weston, Thame on 4 September 1913. He was educated at Shabbington School, and on leaving was employed in Thame by Mr G Bailey, grocer of Buttermarket, as a counter-hand.
On 3rd August 1940 he married Mabel Gladys Newitt at St Mary’s Thame, they lived with her parents at 60 Wellington Street.
Earlier in 1940 he had enlisted with the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry (5385941), 2nd Battalion. The battalion remained in England until June 1944, when it went to France on D-Day with the 6th Airborne Division, and took part in the subsequent fighting through Normandy. The battalion returned to France in December 1944 as part of the defence against the German Ardennes offensive.
After a short spell of leave in 1945, Ronald returned to the battalion for the airborne assault in crossing the Rhine in late March 1945. Advancing into Germany, L/Cpl Ronald Frank Harris died on 5th April 1945, of wounds received during fighting in villages around the town of Petershagen, near Hanover.
Initially buried in Friedwalde Evangelist Churchyard, he was reburied in Hanover War Cemetery in July 1947. His name is commemorated in Thame on St Mary’s Church memorial board.
The Thame Remembers Cross was delivered to Hanover War Cemetery, Germany on 09th January 2016 by Tim Jones (The Princess of Wales Royal Regiment)