Thame Remembers Captain Richard John Philip Hewetson
Richard John Philip Hewetson was the only son of the Reverend William and Susan Kathleen Hewetson. He was born in 1893 in Aston Pinxton, Warwickshire, and moved to Thame in 1898 when his father was appointed vicar at St Mary’s church.
They lived in the vicarage on the Long Crendon Road until 1905 when they moved to Salhouse, Norfolk. Richard went on to be educated at Repton School, and Oriel College (Oxford).
He volunteered for service in August 1914, joining the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, and was immediately offered a commission. He went to France with the 1st Battalion in June 1915 and was wounded on the 25th September at the Battle of Loos.
After recovering back in England he was promoted to Captain and posted to the 3rd Battalion, returning to France in March 1917 attached to the 9th Battalion.
In May 1918, his division was sent to rest on the Aisne, but on the 27th May they were overwhelmed by a strong German force. His battalion was surrounded and Captain Hewetson was taken prisoner with his leg smashed. Gas gangrene set in and his leg was amputated but Captain Hewetson died five weeks later, age 24.
He was buried by the Germans in Beaurieux French Military Cemetery and re-interred in Vendresse British Cemetery in 1924.
Richard is commemorated on the Salhouse war memorial but his name is not remembered in Thame.