George Henry Sherwin was born in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire on 10th September 1883 to Henry Hayles and Emma Sherwin (nee Webb), of the High Street, Waddesdon, Buckinghamshire.
He had an older sister, Agnes and three younger sisters, Eleanor, Kathleen and Nora. He attended Lord Williams’s School in Thame leaving in the late 1890’s. When his father died, the widowed mother moved the family to Leicester (she had been born there). George married Evelyn Webb in September 1912 in Leicester where they lived at 64 Queens Road, Leicester.
George was a motor finisher when he enlisted in the Royal Flying Corps which was mainly involved in support of the Army including photographic reconnaissance. George served with 54 Squadron which was formed at Castle Bromwich on 5th May 1916 and flew BE2C’s and Avro 504 aircraft. In September 1916 the Squadron was re-equipped with Sopwith Pups and became the first Royal Flying Corps Squadron to fly these British single-seater biplane fighter aircraft.
In December 1916, 54 Sqn moved to France as a day fighter squadron initially providing bomber escort duties. The Squadron went on to specialise in attacking enemy observation balloons during the Battle of Arras. George died of pneumonia in hospital in Aldershot on 18th February 1917.
56471 Air Mechanic 2nd Class George Henry Sherwin is buried in Welford Road Cemetery, Leicester, England. He is remembered on Waddesdon war memorial and Lord Williams’s School honour board.
The Thame Remembers Cross was delivered to Welford Road Cemetery, Leicester, Leicestershire on 09th April 2017 by Ian Welch